Monday, November 5, 2012

Barbies of all Colors





The closer you are to the Caucasian race the more you mirror what is defined as being beautiful. Because I am so far off from being white, I am not considered a classic beauty. I am not attractive to mundane America, because my skin is too dark and my body is too curvaceous. There maybe a few Caucasians that consider me to be beautiful, however in a broad-spectrum; I don’t meet the westernized standards.
 
I love this quote written by C.S Lewis: The beauty of life is that youdon't have to be modernly beautiful to live it. You don't have to be modernly beautiful to live it. This rings truth to me because I consider myself to be beautiful; however I am not considered modernly beautiful based off the representation of Barbie. Barbie is a classic beauty that young girl aspire to emulate.
 
In the article, Ann Ducille on Ethnic Barbies, written by Lisa Wade PhD, examines Barbie dolls. It illustrates how ethnic Barbie’s are basically white Barbie’s with a little color and a change of clothes.  It does not explore that beauty comes in all different shapes and sizes. It clearly shows how images of white barbies that are on the market sets the standard. Those implications shows off the mire essence of what being beautiful in America looks like.  In the article it also displays Mattel which manufactures Barbie, capitalizing on creating “ethnic” Barbie, yet it is molded off the prototypical Caucasian. Society needs to end the means of appealing to peculiar measures of beauty and begin with embracing self. 


As you can see below, all of the Barbies are white based with ethnic clothing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment